For our nineteenth issue, we are entertaining works on chrome, rust & steel: poems about cars, cabs, vans, buses, trains, subways or driving/riding in any of those vehicles, as well as fine original poetry outside of this/these theme(s). We simply ask that individual submissions do NOT exceed more than three (3) poems per poet, and that each individual poem NOT exceed more than three (3) pages.
As a reminder: we accept a few kinds of submission formats: portable document format (.pdf), rich text format (.rft) and .doc/docx (Microsoft Word) files, OR .mp3/.wav audio files.
That said...please submit your BEST poems, or, if you prefer to create an audio recording of yourself reciting your poetry, send ONLY ONE (1) file attachment of NOT MORE THAN 2 MINUTES/120 seconds in total duration to http://blastfurnace.
Please read our Mission/Values, Submission Guidelines and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) posted near the top of our web page, before submitting to review what resonates with us. We love a variety of poetic styles, but we are also picky. DEADLINE: September 30, 2015, at 11:59 PM EST
BLAST FURNACE 2nd ANNUAL POETRY CHAPBOOK COMPETITION!
Blast Furnace enthusiastically announces its second annual poetry chapbook competition, which officially began July 16, 2015!
Following are the details:
- Submission deadline: October 31, 2015 at 11:59 PM EST
- We will entertain manuscripts from any poet who has not previously been published in his/her own chapbook-length collection of poetry.
- Submitter restrictions: No manuscripts by current Chatham University staff, alum, or students are permitted. No manuscripts by Blast Furnace guest reviewers are permitted. United States residents only—unfortunately, we are unable to accept manuscripts from international authors at this time.
- Simultaneous submissions are permitted.
- Each poet may submit only one (1) manuscript.
- Manuscript Format: Manuscripts must be typed in 12 pt font and submitted in one of the following electronic file formats: .doc, .docx, .rtf, or .pdf. Document length must be no less than 19 and no more than 27 pages of poetry. Poet’s first and last name, U.S. mailing address, active email address and telephone number must be included on the first page of the manuscript document, along with the manuscript title. The second page of the manuscript must be the manuscript TITLE ONLY. Any identifying information about the poet must not appear on any other pages of the document. Table of contents must be included with the manuscript. If applicable, include acknowledgements of previously published poems included in the manuscript. For the “Title” field in the Submittable form, type the manuscript TITLE ONLY of the manuscript, followed by “chapbook” ([TITLE – chapbook]).
- All manuscripts will be printed out and the title page with the poet’s identifying information page removed prior to the review process.
- No hard copy (U.S. Mail) submissions. Submissions must be made via Submittable at https://blastfurnace.submittable.com/submit/44375
- Reading fee: $14
- One (1) winner only will be selected.
- Prize: Winner receives $200 and ten (10) complimentary copies of the winning chapbook.
- Winner announced within two (2) months following the submission deadline.
- Judge: L. Lamar Wilson, http://www.llamarwilson.com